Friday, November 24, 2017

Destination Earth

https://www.amazon.com/Destination-Earth-Philosophy-World-Traveler-Writing-ebook/dp/B01GQKZZ52/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

A pleasurable envy overtook my emotions when I read Destination Earth. I grew up reading National Geographic, imagining myself in distant lands. This book, based on an around the world Odyssey, approaches travel as full immersion into these foreign lands. I loved the way the writer set forth a philosophy to immerse yourself as you travel, even considering the "difficulties and struggles" that a traveler inevitably faces at some point during his explorations. I also liked the inserted vignettes with the travel stories that always have something substantial to teach. One in particular, still has me thinking. In “Legs and Arms” he writes, “My legs are the symbol of my strength and independent spirit. My arms are the symbol of my weakness and my dependent nature.” A fascinating read that brought me back to my childhood love of NG and ignited my wanderlust.

No comments:

Post a Comment